pages

Friday 6 May 2011

Hurumphing in arty Islington

I'm struggling at the moment to get something done that I thought would be fun and creative and exciting.  I'd had a 'brainwave' in the middle of the night about a campaign idea for Children Unite (I think I may have mentioned this before?) and now that I'm at the first stage of getting this campaign idea up and running - I'm struggling.

The first stage is to write guidelines for 'art workshops' that will be run with child domestic workers in 7 countries and I'm sitting here, staring at the screen, not being able to think creatively at all.  So, first I tried ringing various people and nagging them for ideas, asking if this idea or that idea would work.  Then, with gentle persuasion from my office mates (who were probably fed up with me hurumphing in front of my computer, making lots of tea and sighing rather loudly every 10 minutes), I wandered the streets of Islington (my local area) where there are lots of arty people and things.  I've been looking for inspiration. I wanted the brainwave-in-the-middle-of-the-night experience again.

But I haven't found it.  I've realised that, this time, I'm gonna have to just work it through.  Write it down, figure it out, change it, try it out, change it again.  It's going to be a bit of a drudge; not fun, not creative and not exciting...but there you go, most of the time it's hard work that gets you there in the end, not genius, not the X factor, not inspiration, not luck.

So, I've stopped hurumphing or looking for inspiration and I'm in the middle of some very hard work.  Which is why I've written this blog in extra quick time - 10 minutes I think - and it is rather short, so this paragraph is actually just filler text to try and make it look a bit longer...sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment