pages

Friday 6 January 2012

The Season of Good Marketing Ideas


I faced the dilemma this year of whether or not to send Christmas cards (as a marketing exercise) as Children Unite, I guess, officially exists (although we don't officially launch until March).  It’s because I’m signed up to a number of ‘small business’ related email subscriptions that seem to constantly be promoting the need for flyers or re-branding or how to get 20,000 followers on twitter in 5 minutes.  So, I felt under pressure to use the Season of Good Will as a marketing opportunity and ‘promote my business’ to everyone I know!   On the other hand, it makes a refreshing change to get something ‘nice’ like a card through the post (rather than junk mail) – but only if you actually know the person who sent it I tend to find.

On balance I sent a virtual Christmas card.  And I don’t think I can be accused of bowing to the pressure to use it as a marketing ploy – as you can see for yourself (below) it’s from ‘all the staff at Children Unite’ and is an animation of Jonathan and I dressed up in Santa hats, dancing with Santa to…you guessed it…’Santa Claus is coming to town’!! Not a desperately serious card.

But I realised that nearly all the people I’d want to send a Children Unite Christmas card to - I’d be happy to make them laugh. I have no need to ‘promote my business’ to them. In fact, the ‘family’ Christmas card that Jonathan and I sent out to people this year was very similar – slightly more embarrassing as it happens - consisting of both us with our two daughters dressed up in flares and huge afros dancing to some vaguely Christmassy funky tune!!  (and no, I am not adding that here!).  But many people on the list got both cards as it is hard for Jonathan and I to differentiate between our friends and our work colleagues...all one big happy family!!

So, for anyone who didn’t get a card (sorry) and wishing you a belated Happy Christmas and Merry New Year from all of us at Children Unite!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment